21.—Do you know Uncle Tom is crazy about gardening?
—Sure. He ____ his flowers in the garden now.
A. may be watering B. must be watering
C. could look after D. ought to watch
22.____ the temperature falling so rapidly, we couldn’t go on with the experience.
A. Since B. With C. As D. For
23. I’d love ___ to your party last Sunday if not because of the unexpected guests.
A. to go B. going C. having gone D.to have gone
24. —Will you two go to the show tomorrow?
—No. We’re going to a lecture, or at least I’m planning ____.
A. it B. to C. that D. so
25. The rescue team ______to help but failed to get there in time.
A. had wanted B. have planned C. were expecting D. hoped
26.1 haven’t got a single ______from Aunt Mary since I last saw her.
A. advice B. news C. message D. information
27.—Is it Pro. King that will give the lecture on radiation?
—I can’t __ I know it for sure.
A. say B. tell C. speak D. talk
28. "No, no ", he whispered,____ talking to himself.
A. while B. even if C. as if D. when
29. — Any phone call for me?
—Yes.____ telephoned 10 minutes ago.
A. A Doctor Simpson B. The certain doctor
C. The Tim Smith D. A Simpson Doctor
30. ____ is mentioned above, the number of the cattle here has been limited to 200.
A. It B. Which C. That D. As
31. —Would you please give him the paper the moment he ____?
A. arrives B. appearing C. came D. reaches
32.I wonder ____ we can solve this hard problem.
A. what else B. how else C. that D. as if
33.— Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the bank?
—Oh, that’s ____, it’s either the second or the third road on the left.
A. the difficult one B. a hard one
C. an easy one D. the very one
34. The newly-founded company is faced with lots of trouble, ____ the financial problem ia not the worst.
A. which B. of which C. to whom D. with which
35. To his surprise, his new play well ____ by the public in China, met a cold welcome abroad.
A. received B. accepted C. accepting D. receiving
21.— ____ at the new school?
—Fine, I’ve got used to the life there and I’ve made some friends.
A. How are you B. How are you doing
C. Are you getting on well D. How do you do
22. —Mary has a very low opinion of George.
—It can’ t be any worse than ____ of her.
A. he B. his C. him D. he does
23. I’ll be home late, but please don’t stay ____ for me.
A. up B. in C. over D. on
24.— What are you going to do next?
—To write a science story about outer space ___ by Science and Technology Press.
A. published B. being published
C. to be published D. publishing
25. —How do you like the film?
—There was nothing special--- it was only ____.
A. average B. usual C. normal D. common
26. In salad bars the waiter does not bring you salad. You have to____ yourself, usually to as much as you want.
A. bring B. serve C. help D. supply
27. Our TV sets sell well, but ten years ago no one could have imagined such a big share in the market that they ____.
A. were having B. had had C. were to have D. had
28. Let us suppose that you are in____ position of____ parent. Would you allow your child to do such a thing?
A. a; a B. a; the C. the; a D. the; the
29.— He has to finish the experiment today. He must be in the lab,____?
—That s quite possible.
A. mustn’t he B. won’t he C. doesn’t he D. isn’t he
30. However, at times this balance in nature is disturbed, ____ a number of possibly unforeseen effects.
A. lying in B. calling in C. taking in D. resulting in
31. I wrote to my parents once a week,____ I was too busy with my teaching work.
A. it B. unless C. when D. as
32. —Where will you start your work after graduation?
—Mmm, it’s not been decided yet. I ____ continue my study for a higher degree.
A. need B. must C. would D. might
33. The truth, Sir, is that the old man____ across the street when my car hit him.
A. was to walk B. had been walkingC. walked D. was walking
34. So many uses have been discovered for this wood ____ the supply of white pine is becoming smaller and smaller.
A. then B. what C. that D. which
35.—You seemed to have been impressed by his songs.
—Well, not exactly so. It was his way of singing____ his voice that really impressed me.
A. rather than B. as well as C. but also D. together with
21. I smoke out of ____ habit, not for ____ pleasure; for I have been in the habit for twenty years.
A. a; the B. the; a C. x; the D. x; x
22. His job is to sell the ____ carvings in the ____ department of the company.
A. wooden; sales B. wood; sales C. wood; sale D. wooden; sale
23. My father ____ my brother for driving but he wanted to pick ____ the knowledge of the computer during his spare time.
A. advised; up B.persuaded; out C.intended; up D.managed; out
24. —Whose advice do you think I should take?
A.You speak B.That’s itC.It’s up to you D.You got it
25. ____ the youth ____ the rising sun at 8 or 9 o’clock am, Mao Zedong expressed his great hope for the young men.
A. Comparing; withB. Compared; to
C. Compared; with D. Comparing; to
26. Not far from the club, there was a girden, ____ owner seated in it playing bridge with his children every afternoon.
A. whose B. its C. which D. that
27. I haven’ t seen Mary these past few days. I m afraid she ____ herself for some time.
A. isn’t feeling B. hasn’ t been feeling
C. hadn’t been feeling D. wasn’t feeling
28. Doing your homework is a sure way to improve yor test scores, and this is especially true ____ it comes to classroom tests.
A. before B. since C. when D. after
29. A love marriage, however, does not necessarily ____ much sharing of interests and responsibilities.
A. take over B. result in C. hold on D. keep to
30. The teacher came to the classroom and demanded ____ what had happened.
A. his students to tell him B. being told
C. telling him D. to be told
31. There were many students and teachers at the party yesterday. I looked for two seats to sit down with my friend, Tim, but there were ____.
A. neither B. nothing C. none D. no
32. It is in Steven Spielberg’ s first film, Jaws, ____ a big white shark attacks swimmers ____ are spending their holidays in a small village by the sea.
A. where; who B. which; that C. that; that D. where; that
33. —What do you think of the dinner in Mr Brown’s?
—Oh, great! We have never had a better one. It’s a dinner of twenty ____.
A. drinks B. people C. tables D. courses
34. The captain ordered the crew to throw ____ the side of the ship all heavy guns and even stores in order to raise the boat in the water.
A. on B. through C. across D. over
35. Knowing how long the test would last, the students who finished ____ back and waited until the end of the exam.
A. settle B. settled C. settling D. to settle